For years, hand written recipes from bloggers stuffed my recipe boxes. Slowly, I started inventing recipes to suit my diet (gluten free and organic), having learned the intricacies of making and creating. Here is a delicious first.
Equipment: Vitamix or other high-powered blender. Mold of choice, I use a 4.8 cup bread loaf dish capable of being stored in freezer. Measuring spoons. Saucepan. Parchment paper.
Chocolate Pecan Dessert
Delicious chocolate layered dessert with crust made of pecans, pumpkin seeds, and dates.
- 1/2 c. pecans.
- 1/3 c. pumpkin seeds.
- 2-3 dried medjool dates, depending on size.
- Optional: five dried golden berries, two dashes cinnamon, one dash cayenne pepper.
- 3 T. lite or regular culinary coconut milk (I use So Delicious), 1 T. cream, or 1/4 c. total of whichever.
- Chocolate bar of choice, I use Alter Eco Dark Blackout 85% cocoa because of the high cacao bean and cocoa butter content. Break bar into pieces. Looking to add 40 g. or 1.4 oz — two or three square rows (four-six sections).
- 3 T. coconut oil.
- 1 T. cacao powder.
- 1 T. maple syrup.
- Put pitted dates in warm water and soak until crust flour is made. Add dried golden berries if using.
- Place pecans, pumpkin seeds, cinnamon, and cayenne in blender. Blend until well combined and flour-like. Does not by any means have to be a perfect flour, can have pieces.
- Add dates and golden berries, but no water. Combine well. Will likely need to scrape sides after first and second blending. Stop once dough-like.
- Line dish with parchment paper. Press dough from blender to form base layer. I do not usually form sides. Set aside.
- Pour coconut milk and cream into sauce pan. Turn heat on high until slightly boiling — I usually wait for only a few bubbles.
- Take off eye, and place chocolate pieces in saucepan.
- Stir to blend once squares melt a little. If necessary, place on stove top eye on low and stir to blend. Should look like a pudding. If not, add more chocolate squares.
- Pour on top of base. Refrigerate until middle layer congeals. Shouldn’t take more than an hour.
- Melt coconut oil on stove top on low. Once melted, take off eye, and add cacao powder and maple syrup. Mix well.
- Pour on top of middle layer.
- Place in freezer for about five minutes. Should be hard enough to cut.
Cut however you please, and Enjoy!