gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, partially raw
In honor of Earth Day, chocolate caramel turtles seems appropriate. Turtles are pretty special. Sea turtles at one point made me contemplate a career in marine biology. So here’s to Earth Day!
The caramel is a healthy gluten-free, dairy-free version, and a delicious snack when paired with pecans and chocolate.
Chocolate Caramel Turtles
Delicious pecans, caramel, and chocolate in the guise of a turtle.
- 60 pecan halves.
- 5 dates (pitted and soaked).
- 2 T. almond butter. Recipe here if you do not have any on hand.
- 1 T. coconut oil.
- 1 t. cacao powder.
- 2 dashes salt.
Chocolate Shell Top:
- Can either use 1 oz. chocolate bar with high cacao content or add cacao powder and maple syrup to coconut oil.
- 1 T. coconut oil. If not using chocolate bar, use 2 T. coconut oil instead of 1.
- 1 T. culinary coconut milk, original version. I used So Delicious.
- Place pecan halves, outer portion up, on working area (plate, pan, parchment paper, etc.) to form turtle head and body.
- Caramel: In high speed blender, blend dates until paste-like substance is formed. Add coconut oil if having trouble. Blend well. Add almond butter, cacao powder, and salt. Should form a sticky substance. Place in refrigerator until other chocolate shell topping is cooled and finished. May want to leave in fridge a little longer if the stickiness is bothersome. Should harden.
- Chocolate Shell Topping: Melt coconut oil in pan on low heat over stove eye. Once melted, take off eye. Add either chopped chocolate bar pieces or cacao powder and maple syrup. Stir well to combine. If having trouble melting chocolate bar, leave on eye or turn on low heat and keep stirring until fully blended. Let cool. Add coconut milk and stir well.
- To make turtles, take about a spoonful sized ball of dates and form into a flattened circle shape. Place over pecan halves gently. Add a spoonful of chocolate over date portion. Repeat until all turtles are made. Sprinkle a little salt on top of each shell and put in refrigerator to let harden for about ten minutes. Place in refrigerator for storage as well.
Outtake: (What happened before I added culinary coconut milk)