free of processed sugar. gluten-free. dairy-free. soy-free.
There was a time when maple syrup, honey, molasses, stevia, agave, and every other processed sugar imaginable was not in my diet. After skimming through an old recipe box, I imagine this recipe came from then. Hopefully someone will find it useful.
The taste is not overly sweet, but hints of a chocolate chip cookie satisfies cravings.
Sugar-Free Cashew Cacao Nib Cookies
Pleasant gluten-free cookies made with cashew, oat, and coconut flour. Sweetened with dates. Cacao nibs replace regular chocolate chips.
Ingredients1 c. cashews (whole). 1/2 c. oats. 2 T coconut flakes. 1-2 T. cacao nibs. 4, 5 if small, medjool dates – pitted and soaked in warm water for at least five minutes. 1 egg (vegan alternative: grind 1 T. flax seed. Pour in 3 T. water. Allow to sit for thirty minutes prior to use. Or can use 1 t. baking soda mixed with 1 T. white vinegar. Neither of these alternatives have I tried). 2 T. coconut oil – melted. 1 T. lemon juice. 2 t. gluten-free vanilla extract. Two dashes salt.
- In high speed blender/food processor, grind cashews, oats, and coconut flakes into a fine flour. Set aside.
- In high speed blender/food processor, grind dates as much as possible. Add coconut oil and blend to combine.
- Still in blender, add egg, vanilla extract, lemon juice, and salt. Blend to combine. Add flour, 1/2 cups at a time, blending well on a low-medium speed to incorporate ingredients. At end, and on low speed, pour 1/2 T. cacao nibs in at time. Mix and add until desired amount is included, though I don’t recommend more than 1.5-2 T. Will be very crunchy with 2 T. cacao nibs.
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- If desiring heart shapes, or any other cookie cutter shape, refrigerate for at least one hour. Shape cookie dough into a log on parchment paper during refrigeration. If needing to cook half batch at a time, as I did, put dough in refrigerator during cooking of first batch. If not desiring shape other than circle, can cook immediately. Place on oiled or lined cookie sheet. Make sure dough is not too thick.
- These cook quick! My oven clocked 5-8 minutes with heart shaped cookies. Usually takes a couple of minutes longer if not using a cookie cutter. Be sure to check bottoms after 5 minutes. If golden or brown, remove.
- Let cool and enjoy! Store in refrigerator.