gluten-free. vegan. dairy-free. raw aspects.
My birthday was this past week.
Every year I dream up some fantasy of a cake to separate the day from any other. This year I tried to blend smooth and creamy textures with chocolate, coconut, vanilla, and nuts to create a delicious gluten-free and dairy-free confection. The result was special for a special day. I figured sharing was caring.
- The crust and first chocolate layer can be made the night/day prior and stored in refrigerator, but I highly recommend adding ice cream and chocolate sauce around five to ten minutes before desiring to consume. Otherwise, chocolate layer turns into a fudgesicle when stored in freezer too long.
- Can be made without ice cream layer. On this particular day, ice cream was melting. If so, in my opinion it does not detract from the overall taste. Just becomes a bit messier.
Dairy-free Ice Cream Cake
Delightful layered dairy-free ice cream pie with whole food ingredients to satisfy a special day.
- 1/2 c. cashews
- 1/4 c. pecan halves
- 1 T. maple syrup
- 3 dashes sea salt
- 3 T. original culinary coconut milk (lite does not firm as well). If not preferring dairy-free dessert, feel free to use cream.
- around 1.2 oz. or 32 g. dark chocolate of choice (I use a bar with at least 74% cacao)
- Vanilla ice cream of choice. I use Luna & Larry’s Organic Coconut Bliss Vanilla Island. If not preferring dairy-free dessert, feel free to use ice cream with dairy milk.
- 2 T. coconut oil
- 1 T. cacao powder
- 1 T. maple syrup
- In high speed blender, add all ingredients except maple syrup and grind into a flour.
- Add maple syrup and blend well to combine.
- In parchment lined 4″ springform pan, press dough mixture down to create a solid base.
- In sauce pan over stove eye, bring coconut milk to a boil. Once bubbles start, remove from eye and add chocolate pieces. Chocolate pieces should melt. If not, place over stove eye just used if still hot or put on low heat. Stir to combine.
- Pour over crust.
- Smooth top with a spoon and place in refrigerator until firm, at least one hour.
- Make chocolate top before this step so chocolate can cool before pouring over ice cream layer.
- Once the chocolate layer is firm, scoop ice cream with a spoon or fork enough to fill but not heap over the utensil. Lay over firmed chocolate layer. Do not mash ice cream or else it will melt. Even though the ice cream won’t fill every nook and cranny, the ice cream layer still works beautifully.
- Melt coconut oil in sauce pan on low heat over stove eye if not already melted.
- Add cacao powder and maple syrup to melted coconut oil, and stir well to combine.
- Let cool for a few minutes.
- Do ice cream directions, and then pour chocolate sauce over ice cream layer. Place in freezer for around five minutes to harden chocolate sauce.
- Cut sections with a sharp knife. Consume immediately. Has to be stored in freezer or else ice cream will melt. Just don’t be surprised when all the layers freeze.