gluten-free. dairy-free. vegan. soy-free.
Strawberry season is here.
I love strawberries. Most any berry for that matter, but something about snacking on strawberries and cream brings to mind comfort food.
Comfort food is a big deal in the Southern, United States. Warm humid days with memories of berry picking come to mind. Add to that the sweet flavors of coconut cream, and the combination is winning.
I often have trouble digesting dairy well. It tends to cause acne. Once in a blue moon (rarely), I partake of cheese. In the interim, vegan substitutions work well. Rather than soy or store bought stuff, coconut is a nice substitution for milk when using as a replacement to go with something sweet.
This is not difficult to make, and I can see coconut cream as a nice addition to strawberry shortcakes. No fillers, preservatives, dyes, etc. Only three ingredients, mixed by hand, with a decadent and rich result.
Notes: (1) Vanilla extract is optional. It tends to enhance the overall sweet flavor of coconut cream, but it is not a must. (2) If not into a sweeter taste, feel free to adapt the amount of maple syrup to your personal preference. Just start with less and add a little more at a time during stirring.
Strawberries and Vegan Cream
Sweet vegan coconut cream adds to the flavor of snacking on strawberries!
- 2 T. coconut milk in original (I use So Delicious Culinary Milk in original)
- 1/2-1 T. maple syrup, depending on sweet preferences
- 1 t. gluten-free vanilla extract
- Wash strawberries and leave whole or chop into quarter pieces after removing stems. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, add coconut, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Stir well to combine.
- Either use coconut cream as a dip for whole strawberries or spoon over cut strawberries. Enjoy!
- Store cream in refrigerator in sealed container if not used after being made.