gluten-free. vegan. soy-free. dairy-free (no yogurt added).
Sorry I have not posted a recipe in ages. Something I discovered while away from the blog world are smoothie bowls. Instagram is filled with them. Pinterest is too. But I had not actually tried one until three months ago. I am now a fan.
They are often more filling than smoothies. Packed full of nutrients. My only advice is to take your time eating. Don’t “scarf” one down. Go slow, and you will have a much more enjoyable experience.
How do you make a smoothie bowl?
The trick to creating a thick enough smoothie to hold granola (my favorite topping) and chopped fruit on top is to add frozen fruits and ice. For this smoothie bowl, I will be adding a frozen banana and frozen dragon fruit, as well as ice.
Tip – Make certain to remove banana peel prior to placing in a freezer bag in freezer! Trust me, I had an epic fail in which the peel would not come off the banana. Live and learn, I guess. Or better yet, pass on the information.
Have a favorite granola (even a recipe) to recommend? Leave a comment, and share. Thank you!
The taste of this smoothie is not overly sweet. Mildly sweet with noticeable fruit flavors. A specific one does not overpower the rest. My favorite aspect of using dragon fruit is the pink hue, though in my experience dragon fruit itself does not give a strong flavor.
I use water or almond milk in the beginning to make the blending process easier. A smoothie bowl does melt. Mine likely melts at a decent pace because of the liquid and ice added. It’s easier to add water and ice, but if you can make it without these additions, more power to you.
Dragon Fruit Smoothie Bowl
A bright pink smoothie bowl filled with fruits and topped with granola.
- ½ c. water or almond milk
- 1 handful washed baby spinach (optional… I like veggies added, and you will hardly notice)
- handful fresh strawberries (small to medium size… about 5)
- 1 frozen banana
- 3.5 oz frozen dragon fruit
- 5-6 ice cubes
- toppings: cut bananas, strawberries, and granola of choice (go wild, and add whatever you please)
- In high speed blender, add water/milk, spinach, and strawberries. Blend until well combined.
- Next add banana and dragon fruit blending until combined. Add ice and blend until you don’t hear the crunching sound of ice being ground and a nice smooth texture forms. Feel free to taste test.
- In a small to medium size bowl, pour smoothie and decorate with whatever toppings desired. Serve immediately and enjoy!